After a successful 4-day trip with the incredible Tortuga (44L) backpack, I decided to take light-packing to a higher (or is it lower) level. I decided to try packing a bag that could fit under the seat of an airplane.
I spent some time debating between the Osprey Porter 30 and the Tortuga Air. I picked the Osprey for several reasons:
- The ability to use an Amazon card that I got from redeeming rewards points
- Color options
If it weren’t for these issues, I’d have gone with the Tortuga Air because of its:
- Ability to expand
- Placement of laptop pouch (in the back rather than towards the front)
- Strap padding
My next trip is not for another two months, but that was too long for me to wait to see if the Osprey could pull me further away from my prior overpacking tendencies.
Here’s what’s in the picture:
- 4 bottoms (1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of dressy linen pants, 1 pair of shorts, 1 skirt
- 4 tops
- 1 light wrap jacket
- 1 scarf (to be used as a shawl or head scarf)
- 2 pairs of flip flops (one for the shower, one dressier pair to wear out)
- Jewelry (2 necklaces, loads of bangles, two pair of earrings)
- 1 swim suit
- 1 nightgown
- 1 baggie of toiletries
- 1 makeup up bag
- 1 cloth tote with tissues and snacks inside, earbuds
- 1 fully loaded purse with wallet, phone, pillbox, and more
- Compact camera
- 1 packing tube with 4 pairs of underwear, 3 pairs of compression socks, 2 bras, 4 shells, and misc. girl-stuff
The verdict: Even though my trial packing selection was somewhat random, I can easily see how I could get several weeks’ worth of items in this bag. Or, I could pack lightly at the start of my trip and have space for the shopping that I tend to do while traveling.
Thanks for the helpful pics!
LikeLiked by 1 person
This is great, thank you! I’m looking to replace my backpack with something better-constructed and geared towards real travel as I’m a seasonal worker and move about 3 times in a calendar year. I need to pack as much as possible in each bag I have, but I want to carry as few bags as possible. I also appreciate that you mentioned which bag you’d have preferred and why. Incredibly useful details and pictures. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person